Position Title: Translator (English – Ukrainian), (f/m)
Position Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Contract Period: 9 months, with a possibility of prolongation
Form of employment: part-time (50%); flexible working hours and possibility of home office
Start Date: as soon as possible
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms. We are currently looking for an experienced Translator to support DRI Kyiv Office with translation and editing tasks. The aims of the project are (1) to provide Ukrainian and international public with regular firsthand reports and analyses of ongoing political reforms, feeding international standards and comparative practice into the reform discussions, and (2) to build capacities of regional and local civil society groups, youth organisations and students for monitoring, analysis and advocacy for reforms.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Ukraine or his designee, the Translator will perform translation and proof-reading services in relation to DRI’s project publications and project materials, in particular:
- Translate DRI’s publications and other project materials (legal reviews, presentations, opinions, newsletters, press releases, briefing papers, DRI’s legislative monitoring chart etc.) mainly from English into Ukrainian and if required from Ukrainian into English;
- Perform proof-reading and editing of publications and ensure they correspond to DRI style guide and layout;
- If required, provide translation services to DRI local and international experts working on project assignments (written translation and consecutive translation at meetings);
- Organise and coordinate language services provided to DRI by outside interpreters, oversee the quality of services provided and advise on the choice of suppliers;
- Follow and update DRI’s style guide for publications in Ukrainian to ensure quality, clarity and consistency;
- Upon request, produce a report regarding the activities taken;
- Any other tasks as required and assigned by DRI’s Country Representative in Ukraine.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in linguistic education, translation or other relevant fields;
- Applicable linguistic experience; minimum of four years of directly related experience in translating/ interpreting;
- Proven experience in translating materials related to political and legal developments in Ukraine is a strong asset for this position;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Ukrainian, including the ability to draft and revise texts, both for publishing and for public presentations;
- Capability to deliver on time;
- Computer literacy with practical experience in Microsoft applications.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications (cover letter, CV and three contacts for references) in one pdf file to [email protected] including ‘Translator – Ukraine’ in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 31 July 2017 (midnight CET).
Due to the number of applications DRI typically receives only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants may be contacted before the deadline.