Position title: Social Media Expert (Myanmar)
Position location: Myanmar and home-based
Duration: 3 – 14 May 2017
Democracy Reporting International is implementing the EU-funded project STEP to Democracy – Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar, leading the programme component on civil society. DRI works with civil society partners in Myanmar to develop their advocacy and monitoring capacities in the electoral reforms process, while also working with these stakeholders on key aspects of broader democratic governance.
DRI recognises the critical role of civil society organisations (CSOs) in engaging and implementing legal and constitutional reforms to further strengthen democratic rules and practices. DRI places emphasis on support in the areas of legal framework analysis and electoral reforms advocacy, with a view to CSOs becoming key resources for decision-makers and contributing to the reform process through facts-based analysis, advocacy and recommendations.
The Myanmar Democracy Fellowship
The Myanmar Democracy Fellowship is a certificate programme focused on comparative constitutional and electoral law, human rights and electoral/democratic reforms. The MDF is designed for 25 CSO participants from across Myanmar to advance their knowledge and practical skills in democratic governance and advocacy.
The Fellowship covers different aspects of constitutional, electoral law and democracy. Modules are designed to provide participants with comparative knowledge and the fundamentals of legal-constitutional analysis in such areas as:
- Civil and political rights and genuine elections
- Separation and balance of powers
- Decentralisation and local government
- Democratic control of armed forces
Tasks and responsibilities
For the fourth module of the MDF, DRI is seeking a social media expert with experience creating and managing social media campaigns. Under the supervision of the DRI Myanmar Country Representative, and in cooperation with DRI Myanmar and COM programme teams, the expert will design, prepare, coordinate, and facilitate a session on advocacy and social media. The trainer will be responsible for the learning process of their sessions and for developing the curriculum and relevant training materials. Finally, the trainer will report back to DRI Myanmar on each of their training sessions, including feedback and lessons learned for future modules.
The expert will be tasked with delivering a session on social media and advocacy campaigns. Concretely, this will involve the following deliverables:
- Designing a session for fellows with practical exercises such as, e.g., defining objectives for a social media advocacy campaign, target audiences, visual elements, managing a campaign, etc.;
- Preparing training materials for the session, including PowerPoint presentations, handouts for facilitators and participants;
- Coordinating the design of visual elements such as infographics, booklets, film and other media
- Advising the DRI Myanmar Country Representative and team on follow up visibility for the MDF and future activities;
- Reporting after the mission to the DRI Myanmar Country Representative and Programme Officer with feedback and lessons learned for future modules.
- University degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related discipline;
- A minimum of eight years experience in media and communications with a demonstrated knowledge of social media, digital communications and development;
- Demonstrated track record as a social and digital media specialist, with experience creating social media strategies, campaigns and content development;
- Proven ability to explain technical issues in an accessible language and interactive manner;
- Excellent writing skills and drafting of learning materials accessible for non-expert audience;
- Experience working in transition countries and contexts related to DRI’s programmes is an asset;
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
For interested applicants, please submit your CV and at least one sample of previous work (preferably evidencing social media campaign experience) to [email protected]. Please include “Social Media Expert (Myanmar)” in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 28 April 2017. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.