Form of Employment: Long-term consultancy
Position Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Reporting lines: Country Representative Myanmar
Contract Period: 1 October 2018 – 1 October 2019
Estimated days: 40 days (mission and home-based, subject to change based on programming requirements)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a Senior Constitutional Expert to support activities under an EU-funded project, STEP Democracy. The STEP Democracy project works with the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties and civil society organizations (CSOs), supporting Myanmar’s democratic transition with tailor-made programming in line with the unique needs of each electoral stakeholder, supporting multi-stakeholder dialogue on electoral reforms, human rights and democratic governance.
Duties and responsibilities
The Senior Constitutional Expert will work with DRI to design and implement a series of roundtables that will explore different aspects of constitutional and wider democratic reforms. DRI has previously organised Chatham House style roundtables focusing on decentralization, the peace process, and sub-state constitutions. The Senior Constitutional Expert will work with the DRI Country Representative, Programme Coordinator, and project Advisor to design roundtables relevant to the political context, participate in the events, and provide comparative insight to civil society, government, and other stakeholders that take part.
The Senior Constitutional Expert will be expected to:
- Collaborate with the DRI Myanmar Country Representative and Country Office team on the design and development of the roundtables
- Provide technical advice to civil society, government officials, and other national stakeholders involved in the peace process and constitution-building
- Act as a resource person at roundtables and other relevant events, designing and facilitating sessions as required
- Advise the DRI Myanmar Country Representative on the development of the DRI Myanmar office’s strategy on constitutional support, including the design of activities regarding the peace process and the democratic transition.
- Carry out research or delivery technical reports or briefing notes, when applicable, on constitutional issues relevant to national stakeholders and the DRI Myanmar office
The first mission is scheduled for October/November 2018 and dates will be set in coordination with the Expert. Future missions and dates will be subject to planning with the DRI Country Representative.
Location and/or Travel Plan:
During planned events, the Senior Constitutional Expert will be expected to travel to Myanmar and work from the DRI office in Yangon, with internal travel to Naypyitaw and other major cities as appropriate.
- Advanced university degree in law, political science, or a related field;
- At least 10 years of experience in democracy support with a focus on constitution-making processes and subject matter expertise in any of the following areas: the right to self-determination, sub-national constitutions (in a federal framework), peace processes and constitutional reform, the role of parliament and constitutional courts, and the working principles of federalism;
- Experience in delivering technical assistance, training sessions, or capacity-building on democratic constitutions, as well as any of the subject matters listed previously;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the constitutional and legal frameworks in Myanmar is an asset;
- Working experience in Myanmar or in the region is preferred;
- Excellent command of English is required;
- Excellent research and reporting skills are required.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications is 27 August 2018. Shortlisted candidates may be contacted before the deadline.
Candidates should submit a CV to [email protected] with ‘Senior Constitutional Expert’ in the subject line.