Project: Fa’ela (فاعلة) – Tapping into Women’s full Potential in Shaping Libya’s State-Building Efforts
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: One Year
Location: Tunis, Tunisia or Tripoli, Libya
Closing of applications: 9 May 2021
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) strengthens democracy by shaping the institutions that make it sustainable. We support local ways of promoting democracy with impartial analysis and good practices, bringing international standards to life. The belief that people are active participants in public life, not subjects of their governments, guides what we do. We work with local actors to protect and expand our shared democratic space in a polarised world, regardless of political opinions or personal beliefs. In Libya, DRI has been engaging in projects on topics related to democratic discourse, civil society strengthening, the constitution, human rights and local governance since 2012.
Jusoor Center for Studies and Development is an independent Libyan not-for-profit think and do tank registered in 2015. Jusoor’s Headquarters is in Tripoli, but the organisation has representation throughout the country, with coordinators in Benghazi, Sabha and Yefren. Jusoor is committed to economic and social development through women empowerment and developing innovative policies. Jusoor aims to promote research, critical thinking, open discourse and innovative solutions with a special focus on women’s issues.
In 2020 DRI and Jusoor began implementing an EU and Embassy of Canada Funded project entitled Fa’ela (فاعلة): Tapping into Women’s Full Potential in Shaping Libya’s State-Building Efforts (mid-June 2020 – mid-December 2022). The Fa’ela project has the vision of a Libya in which women effectively participate in public life. To reach this vision, the project increases the organisational and technical capacity of women’s CSOs, increases the technical capacities of Libyan female politicians and political/governance actors, and establish a peer-to-peer and an enabler network with the aim of supporting women engagement in public life.
To this end, DRI is looking for a Senior Communications Coordinator who can support the Fa’ela project team with the communication and visibility of the project and lead, in coordination with the project team, on the project’s media campaign.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and ensure implementation of the Fa’ela project communication and visibility strategy in line with Fa’ela objectives.
- Provide ongoing guidance to the Fa’ela project team on the implementation of the communications and visibility strategy and action plan, including coordination with experts producing project podcasts, videos, and motion graphics.
- With support from the DRI and Jusoor Fa’ela project team, lead on the development and implementation of the Fa’ela project media campaign and development of follow up mechanism and plan for this campaign.
- Coordination of project media promotion (online and offline) to achieve the project’s communications and visibility objectives.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, speeches, and other marketing material that communicate the Fa’ela activities and/or products/output.
- Write, edit and disseminate publicity material in a communications and visibility friendly manner, respond to inquiries from the public and media, and coordinate promotional events.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews for project figures.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists and maintain a media database.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
Qualifications we require:
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, marketing or related field or Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of professional experience in a similar position.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ relevant experience in a senior communications role.
- Demonstrable extensive experience and knowledge about the media (both online and offline) landscape and sensitivities in Libya.
- Excellent skill of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop).
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrable extensive experience or knowledge of the situation of women in Libya is highly desirable.
- Experience working on communication and visibility outputs for EU funded projects is a strong asset;
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms.
- Ability to learn fast, comfort with the unfamiliar, and the confidence to communicate with diverse audiences are essential.
- Proven fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English.
What we offer:
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, training options, and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (a cover page, your CV and your expected daily rate) to [email protected]. Please include “Senior Communications Coordinator – Fa’ela” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity.
Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 9 May 2021. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10