Request for Quotation – Freelance Web Designer
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a nonpartisan, independent, not-for-profit international organization registered in Berlin, Germany, which promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI strives to provide relevant and timely information on worldwide democratic topics and political developments. To make DRI’s website more efficient and effective, we wish to improve the usability and attractiveness of our online platform. Especially the search functions, archives and the provision of content in 8 different languages is core to our offer/service. Further, the content needs to be translated to other digital media platforms. Finally, drafting of online newsletter templates, print material, other office templates and overseeing the implementation of DRI’s corporate design is essential. The overall objective is to provide design and implementation as well as technical support for DRI’s website.
DRI is therefore looking to recruit a freelance web designer who can design, maintain, update, troubleshoot and improve the organisation’s website, follow and apply the visual identity guidelines, professionally layout and design all online and print material related to DRI’s mission, ensure the website’s core functionality and improve DRI’s public visibility. Your responsibilities will entail the following:
In submission, tenderer must include:
- Tenderer contact information (Individual/company name, physical address, telephone number, email address).
- Price quotation in EUR (preferably for an hourly rate AND a recurring monthly retainer fee [20 hrs/month] that can be paid on a fixed, pre-negotiated rate).
- Evidence of technical & creative expertise; evidence of prior experience with website & print design (preferably with work samples).
- References of prior completed projects/deliverables.
Your duties and responsibilities:
The web designer will work directly with DRI HQ team under the overall guidance of DRI’s Director of Finance. The web designer will perform the following tasks to support our online platform and print deliverables:
- Improve user experience (UX) on website; maintain website and ensure its running order (front end)
- General consultancy on orientation of online strategy in line with advocacy messages;
- Upon request, make recommendations for design, visualisation and graphic identity of projects
- Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, electronic, web-based and animated presentations;
- Ensure a professional visual image of multimedia content by introducing fixed styles, ensuring consistency in fonts, formatting, icons, images and designs, layout techniques
- Provide regular updates to DRI’s Director of Finance;
Qualifications we require:
- Bachelor of Arts or comparable degree in Web Design, Programming
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a web designer, preferably with NGOs and/or civil society groups;
- Sound/Solid knowledge of composition, colour theory and typography
- Experience with print design (corporate identity, editorial, reports, etc.)
- Proficient with current design software packages, i.e. Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat, or equivalent;
- Experience updating/managing web content via WordPress
- Familiarity with code preprocessors (e.g. SASS) and task automator workflows (e.g. Grunt);
- Experience with managing webhosts (inc. SSH)
- SEO optimization and SMM management
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, working knowledge of German;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work with minimum supervision
The deadline for submission (online exclusively!) of quotation is 29 October 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline, so early applications are encouraged.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application including
- A short cover letter highlighting relevant experience in similar assignments and why you are fit for the position
- Samples of previous work illustrating your experience
- Your CV, showing evidence of relevant experience in similar assignments
to the following email address: [email protected]
(subject line: “Web Design Support DRI HQ”)
Please compile everything in one PDF file and refer to the source in which you have found this opportunity.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
The submission for this tender does not entail any commitment on the part of DRI, either financial or otherwise. DRI may cancel the tender, any time, without assigning any reason.
Early applications are encouraged as candidates may be invited to interview before the deadline. Recruitment may close before the deadline if an applicant is found. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.