Position Title: Project Officer
Form of Employment: Full-time (Sri Lankan nationals only)
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Three months, with the possibility of extension
Location: Country Office Colombo, Sri Lanka
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organization registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is currently implementing a two-year project commencing from 2016 to strengthen democratic consolidation in Sri Lanka by generating broad stakeholder participation in democratic reforms and contributing to the effective implementation of international human rights and labor conventions. Specifically, DRI is working to build awareness about the European Union’s Generalized Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+) and contribute to a facts-based debate about the link between the trade concession and human rights.
DRI is recruiting a Project Officer to join our Sri Lanka Country Office in Colombo. Under the overall supervision of the Country Representative, the Project Officer will support the delivery of high quality activities and events at national, regional, and local levels. These activities will include workshops, conferences, trainings and discussion sessions with a variety of participants from government, civil society, business, and international partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Programme Manager in the planning of activities in accordance with the project framework;
- Coordinate day-to-day logistics for activities, including procurement and administrative tasks, in cooperation with the Finance and Administration team;
- Support Monitoring and Evaluation, including the preparation of activity reports and the tracking of project outputs, ensuring that data is collected, filed and fed back to team members;
- Monitor and conduct research on political/legal issues in Sri Lanka for project development;
- Attend outward-facing meetings and build relationships with partners and relevant stakeholders.
Qualifications We Require
- At least three years of experience coordinating events and activities, such as workshops, conferences, trainings and discussion sessions, preferably as part of multi-stakeholder initiatives;
- Demonstrable experience with the financial, logistical, and administrative aspects of event/activity coordination;
- University degree in Law, Political Science, other social sciences, or a related discipline;
- Understanding and experience of Monitoring and Evaluation methods;
- Strong networking and communication skills and experience working with a range of stakeholders including government, business, civil society;
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to quality;
- Ability to travel regularly in Sri Lanka;
- Strong proficiency in English, fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil;
- Understanding of political context and democratic reform process in Sri Lanka is desirable.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Project Officer” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 18th September 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.