Project: Fa’ela (فاعلة) – Tapping into Women’s full Potential in Shaping Libya’s State-Building Efforts
Position: Project Coordinator
Form of Employment: Full-time
Start date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: 2.5 years
Location: Tripoli, Libya
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance since 2012. Currently, DRI is preparing to start a new, EU funded project entitled ‘Fa’ela: Tapping into Women’s Full Potential in Shaping Libya’s State Building Efforts’. This project aims to contribute to enhanced engagement of women CSOs, community leaders and politicians (men and women) in advocating for women to have more access to decision-making and leadership positions in political, social and economic life. The Project Coordinator, under the supervision of the Fa’ela Project Manager, will be responsible for planning and implementing project activities and effectively coordinating with the project partner and relevant project stakeholders in Libya (and Tunisia, if necessary).
Your duties and responsibilities
- Conduct capacity assessments for organisations and recommend the ones that the project will work with and/or support.
- Co-design, deliver, facilitate and/or lead on project activities, such as workshops, trainings, consultation sessions, briefings, and publications.
- Lead on the communication, and follow-up with project partners to ensure smooth project implementation and smooth cooperation.
- Support and monitor project partners who receive a sub-grant from DRI and ensure proper reporting.
- Monitor legal, political, security or cultural developments at the national and local levels that affect women’s lives and their ability to actively participate in public life in Libya and regularly update the Project Manager about project relevant developments.
- In consultation with the Project Manager and according to the Project’s Action Plan, create and maintain a monthly calendar of planned activities in Libya.
- Prepare, organise and report on project events held in Libya and ensure proper documentation of all DRI activities in Libya.
- In cooperation with the Gender and Diversity focal point, ensure gender and diversity are considered in all aspects of work in the project.
- Lead on the coordination with project experts and consultants who conduct in-country trainings/sessions and assessments.
- Co-draft Terms of Reference for local experts and consultants.
- Contribute to the drafting of narrative, financial and MEL reports as requested by the Project Manager.
- Act as the focal point for the project partner in Libya and work in close coordination and collaboration with the project partner.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with other Libya-based international organisations, particularly those with a focus on women’s rights.
- In close coordination with DRI Libya Communications Officer, ensure the visibility and outreach of DRI Libya and the relevant project activities.
- Closely coordinate and share information, when needed, with Libya-based DRI staff who work on other DRI projects.
Your Qualifications and Experience
You are a Libyan professional who is fluent in Arabic and English and have a proven track record of working with Libyan civil society and women organisations in specific.
- At least five years of relevant/progressive professional experience working on projects related to women empowerment and participation in public life, preferably with an international NGO.
- Strong coordination skills with the ability to effectively coordinate with civil society organisations and women organisations in specific.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills (written and oral).
- Willingness and capacity to work with a high level of autonomy and travel within Libya.
- A strong administrative track record.
- In-depth knowledge of women’s rights and the challenges facing women to participate in public life in specific, is a strong asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team are expected.
- Proven fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English.
What We Offer:
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, training options, and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV and three references) to [email protected]. Please include “Project Coordinator – Fa’ela Project (Libya)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 5 July 2020. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10