Position Title: Project Assistant
Form of Employment: Short-term Consultant (National Position)
Starting date: 01 September 2019
Duration: 4 months
Location: Islamabad, with travel within Pakistan.
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. In an upcoming project, DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with national parliamentarians and media to discuss the role of NGOs and how they can effectively assist the socio-economic development of Pakistan in our unique national context. The overall objective of the project is to engage and organise a number of multi-stakeholder consultations to understand the role of civil society in our context and how an appropriate policy framework can make them even more effective in having a meaningful impact and state oversight.
Providing a forum where citizens can actively work to meet their own needs, whether in terms of freedom of expression or provision of services, civil society is an integral part of any democracy and essential for socio-economic development.
In Pakistan, civil society has evolved over the years with periods when the government’s policy has been broadly supportive to periods where the work of CSOs was limited to some extent. Globally, we are seeing a trend in the space for civil society being curbed and the same has been observed in Pakistan in the last few years. Internationally, a debate has been initiated on how to address the issue and efforts are being made worldwide to support the civil society in regaining its position. There is also a need to orient Pakistani politicians and media to understand the positive role of civil society sector and how a better regulation can make them even more effective in contributing to improving the conditions for the population as a whole.
Keeping this notion in consideration, DRI intends to initiate a debate by engaging with parliamentarians, politicians, government bodies, media and the general public with the aim of primarily increasing their awareness of the issue.
DRI currently seeks an incumbent who will support the project team in carrying out project activities.
Your duties and responsibilities:
The Project Assistant will work in close collaboration with the Project Team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of project results through:
- Provision of technical and administrative assistance for implementation of project.
- Provision of support to the project consultants in planning and preparation of events including briefings, consultations, etc. This will include but will not be limited to preparation of agendas, invitation letters, arranging meetings, sending out invitations, following up with participants for confirmations and minute-taking.
- Contribution to the preparation of project reports.
- Preparation and maintenance of contacts database.
- Coordination with various project stakeholders.
- Any other tasks assigned by the team.
Qualifications we require:
- Bachelor’s degree in any social science field preferably political science and /or humanities or any related field, (Master’s degree an advantage).
- At least three years of working experience with NGO/INGO.
- Experience of engaging/working with public institutions and politicians.
- Extensive experience in organising events, workshops and meetings
- Familiarity with concepts and developments related to civil society in the country
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications
Interested candidates are expected to ensure their availability for assigned tasks for a period of 4 months starting from September 2019.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Pakistan: Project Assistant” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 20 August 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10