Form of Employment : Full-time
Starting Date : As soon as possible
Duration : One year, with the possibility of extension
Location : Country Office Colombo, Sri Lanka
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
Currently DRI is implementing a two-year project commencing from 2016 to strengthen democratic consolidation in Sri Lanka by generating broad stakeholder participation in democratic reforms and contributing to the effective implementation of international human rights and labour conventions. Specifically, DRI is working to build awareness about the European Union’s Generalized Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+) and contribute to a facts-based debate about the link between the trade concession and human rights.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Project Assistant for its country office in Sri Lanka. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager you will ensure the delivery of high quality activities and events at national, provincial, and district levels.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Support the team in routine matters in relation to administration and financial activities of the project as well as the country office;
- Act as the main focal point for the administration of the office including tasks such as inventory management, asset management, facility repairs and maintenance and logistics;
- Update the relevant project related financial reports with transactions and activities on a daily basis;
- Check the accuracy of financial documents forwarded for payments in line with the DRI financial, administrative, procurement, travel and security policies;
- Prepare vouchers, reconciliation of monthly project advance settlements, scanning of financial documentations etc.;
- Process payments on a regular basis as well as support the vendors / suppliers in creating strong documentation for DRI;
- Attend to procurement of project items, office supplies, consumables and other maintenance activities as the need arises to ensure the delivery of project activities;
- Provide the logistical support to project team with travel arrangements including visa and tickets, hotel reservations, communication kits, and security arrangements.
Qualifications we require:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university;
- At least three years of experience as a project assistant within a non-governmental organization;
- Demonstrable experience with the financial, logistical, and administrative aspects of event coordination;
- Understanding and experience of procurement, logistics and facility management;
- Strong networking and communication skills and experience working with a range of stakeholders including government, business, civil society;
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to quality;
- Ability to travel alone to provinces within Sri Lanka;
- Strong proficiency in English, fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil;
- Understanding of political context and democratic reform process in Sri Lanka is desirable.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Project Assistant” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 18 March 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.