Title: Project and Finance Coordinator
Project: Shiraka Programme– Support to inclusive and democratic state-building in Libya through capacity building of Libyan CSOs
Contract period: Long term assignment 1 January 2017 – 30 June 2017 with possibility for extension
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
With funding from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, DRI is implementing a project to continue its support to a coalition of Libyan civil society organisations (CSOs) formed under a previous project. The project’s goal is to continuously involve CSOs in a facts-based and inclusive debate on state-building and foster a culture of dialogue, cooperation and institutional development at the local level. Specifically, the project aims to (1) strengthen the operational capacity of CSOs, (2) help the CSOs expand their outreach through designed joint and individual initiatives, and (3) provide the CSOs with a foundation for their involvement in state-building at the local level.
The Project therefore requires the services of an experienced Project and Finance Coordinator to manage the administrative and financial operations of DRI in Libya and coordinate/communicate with the Libyan CSO coalition.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Libya Country Representative and the Finance Unit at DRI’s HQ, the Project and Finance Coordinator will manage and supervise the administrative and financial operations of DRI’s activities in the framework of this project, in particular:
- Initiate and administrate payments, including preparation of invoices and supporting documents;
- Prepare and review financial accounting for DRI’s activities?;
- Coordinate on procurement and logistics matters and liaise with local vendors and partners on related financial matters and agreements;
- Ensure that donor requirements as well as Libyan legal requirements and German bookkeeping requirements are met;
- Oversee implementation of all administrative policies, procedures and templates;
- Prepare interim and final financial reports to the Finance Unit at DRI’s HQ;
- Review and archive financial documents such as invoices, financial reports, etc.;
- Represent DRI during activities taking place in Libya;
- Communicate regularly with the Libyan civil society coalition and coordinate activities;
- Perform any other related duties, which may be assigned.
Location and/or Travel Plan:
The Expert will be working in Libya, with project-related travel within Libya and abroad, if needed.
The Expert will be working under the supervision of and reports to the DRI Libya Country Representative or her assigned representative and the Finance Unit at DRI’s HQ.
All deliverables, outputs and target dates shall be decided and agreed together with the DRI Libya Country Representative and the Finance Unit at DRI’s HQ at the beginning of each calendar month or week.
- University Degree in Business Administration or other relevant fields;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in administration and financial management, experience in donor-funded project will be considered an asset;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Excel) and cloud file sharing e.g. OneDrive, SharePoint, Dropbox, Google Drive;
- Fluency in English and Arabic (written and spoken) is required;
- Good team player, effective communicator, able to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions like heavy workloads and deadlines;
- Familiarity with the Libyan civil society landscape is an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Moreover, DRI offers you a job with flexible working hours, travel health insurance, vocational training for every employee and working in a multicultural team in the heart of Berlin, where everybody is on first name terms with each other.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV and references) to [email protected]. Please include “Project and Finance Coordinator” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 31 December 2016. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.