Programme Officer Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (Sri Lanka)
Form of Employment: Full-time position
Starting Date: 1 October 2019
Duration: 23 months (until 31 August 2021)
Location: Colombo / Sri Lanka, with possible travel to the provinces
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI Sri Lanka is implementing a democracy support programme with a focus on building the capacity of local civil society and political stakeholders in the areas of human rights, electoral reforms, and democratic discourse and social media.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time employee for the position of Programme Officer Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) for its country office in Colombo, Sri Lanka. This position also includes communications, strategy and outreach responsibilities.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Programme Director in Sri Lanka and in close coordination with other team members and DRI HQ’s MEL Focal Point:
Project MEL Responsibilities:
- Develop a M&E framework for DRI’s projects with the aim to assess and make visible DRI’s impact in Sri Lanka;
- Review project concept notes and provide technical input for high quality activity implementation in line with DRI’s overall M&E framework;
- Lead on the implementation of MEL project check-in points including proposal design workshops, project kick-off workshops, mid-term reviews, final evaluations, lessons learned, reporting;
- Develop, pilot, implement, and periodically revise M&E data collection and project tools such as Work Plan/M&E Plan along with an Indicators Tracker as well as baselines, pre-/ post-tests, feedback forms, interviews etc.;
- Ensure ongoing accurate data collection against DRI standards and storing of M&E data collected during the project, also by liaising and coordinating with DRI’s project team;
- Coordinate the recruitment of external MEL experts such as for final evaluations.
Technical MEL Programming Support:
- Provide internal capacity building on MEL for DRI project colleagues as well as DRI’s project partners;
- Draft and exchange lessons learned with MEL Focal Points across the organisation to promote learning and knowledge exchange, including delivery of in-house sessions as and when needed;
- Provide strategic advice to the Programme Director and HQ MEL Focal Point on design and implementation of the project framework and activities to prominently position DRI in the democracy support community in Sri Lanka and globally;
- Coordinate with DRI colleagues locally and in HQ for country and global reporting;
- Advise DRI’s finance unit on MEL budgeting.
Communications, Strategy and Outreach:
- Draft communication and outreach material displaying DRI’s added value in Sri Lanka, including Country Fact Sheets and Thematic Fact Sheets;
- Support the Programme Director in developing programmatic focus areas on the basis of a thorough analysis of DRI’s ongoing programming in-country;
- Provide input to concept notes and full proposals for fundraising purposes;
- Identify funding opportunities and facilitate stakeholder outreach.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in social science, international development, or other relevant fields;
- At least 4 years of work experience in the international development sector and/or policy related work in a MEL/ programme management capacity;
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing M&E frameworks and tools;
- Familiarity with programme development and strategic outreach;
- Understanding of challenges of doing MEL in democracy support programming is an asset;
- Proficient IT skills, able to create templates in word and do tabulations in excel;
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Sinhala/Tamil.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply! Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “2019/03: Programme Officer Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 12 September 2019. This position is contingent upon funding.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10