Form of Employment: Long-term consultancy contract
Position Location: Yangon, Myanmar with occasional travel for project activities
Reporting to: Country Representative
Contract Period: as soon as possible, initial six months contract with the high probability of extension
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a Programme Assistant for its country office in Myanmar, where one if its projects is the European Union- funded STEP Democracy project. STEP Democracy is implemented by a consortium of national and local organisations and works with the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties and civil society organizations (CSOs), supporting Myanmar’s democratic transition with tailor-made programming in line with the unique needs of each electoral stakeholder, promoting dialogue on electoral reforms, human rights and democratic governance.
Objective and Role
The Project Assistant will assist the programmes team in all aspects of project implementation, including research, activity design, implementation and reporting.
The Project Assistant will work from Yangon, with occasional travel for project activities.
- Support quantitative and qualitative research on political developments, including discourse in social media;
- Conduct research and summarise or translate laws, bills and other official documents;
- Assist in the design and implementation of project activities including by supporting event logistics, reporting/minute-taking and activity documentation or reporting;
- Prepare factsheets and background information materials, as required;
- Support project communication and visibility efforts;
- Attend relevant events and share reports and key-take-aways with programmes colleagues:
- University degree in, or currently studying social science, management, computer science, political science, international relations, law, or relevant field;
- Interest in democratic reforms in Myanmar, and good understanding of the political and electoral context in the country;
- Initial experience in democracy support, civil society organisations required;
- Reporting and/or data management skills are required;
- Ability to pay attention to details required and will be assessed in a selection test;
- Computer literacy, with practical experience in using Word, Excel and data visualisation software will be considered an asset;
- Proficiency in oral and written in both English and Myanmar language is necessary.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply!
Deadline for applications is 15 August 2019 ( Shortlisted candidates may be contacted before the deadline. Candidates should submit their CV and cover letter to [email protected] with ‘Programme Assistant (Myanmar)’ in the subject line.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10