Position Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Contract Period: June 2018 – April 2020
Application deadline: 13 May
Brief description of programme:
DRI is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms. The aims of the project are to provide Ukrainian and international public with regular first-hand reports and analyses of ongoing political reforms, feeding international standards and comparative practice into the reform discussions, and to build capacities of regional and local civil society groups, youth organisations and students for monitoring, analysis and advocacy for reforms.
We are currently looking for a Programme and Legal Officer to support our project activities in Ukraine.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Country Representative Ukraine or his assigned representative, the Programme and Legal Officer will analyse and follow up on the political reform process in Ukraine, in particular
- Research and draft legal reviews on relevant topics and analyses of the (draft) laws;
- Review and report on the status of documents relevant to the project, such as (draft) laws, committee reports or statements by members of parliament.
- Represent DRI in the public discussions on political reforms; attend expert discussions and regularly report his/her participation at the meetings and on the on-going reform debate;
- Contribute to the development and organisation of project activities, such as conferences, public discussions, workshops, capacity buildings trainings for CSOs, etc.;
- Contribute to DRI outreach and visibility by giving interviews, writing op-eds and commentaries on Ukraine’s reform process and the project;
- Establish and maintain contacts with relevant interlocutors, such as government agencies, judiciary, parliament, media and civil society, as well as other relevant interlocutors, such as local self-governance bodies and regional CSOs;
- Perform other tasks, as required for successful project implementation
- University degree in law, international law, political science or related field.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a similar role, with demonstrated experience in providing legal expertise, writing, editing and summarising complex legal document on the topics relevant to the project (constitutional, electoral, judicial and decentralisation reforms).
- Previous experience in working for a think tank, research organisation or NGO is an asset.
- Project management experience is an asset.
- Ability to analyse and synthesise information from different sources into coherent and brief reports.
- Advanced IT skills, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian (spoken and written).
Closing date for applications: 13 May (midnight CET).
Interested applicants should send their applications (cover letter, CV and three contacts for references) in one pdf file to [email protected] including ‘Programme and Legal Officer – Ukraine’ in the subject line.
Due to the number of applications DRI typically receives, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants may be contacted before the deadline.