Position title: Parliamentary Engagement Expert (Pakistan)
Starting date: July 2021
Duration: Up to 40 working days (approximate)
Location: Desk work with travel to Islamabad and provincial capitals
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In an upcoming project, DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with parliamentarians and government bodies to discuss the role of NGOs and how they can effectively assist the socio-economic development of Pakistan in our unique national context. The overall objective of the project is to work with the government to create a conducive environment for civil society and media.
DRI is seeking a national expert to engage with and provide technical support to parliamentarians at the national and provincial levels and the country’s political leadership to highlight the issue of shrinking space for civil society and how this may impact the overall socio-economic development of the country. The engagement with these stakeholders will be through briefings, consultations and one-on-one meetings
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Identification of key parliamentarians and members of relevant parliamentary committees who have an interest in and will have an influence on addressing the issue of shrinking civil society space in Pakistan.
- Design and deliver consultations and briefings for various stakeholders including parliamentarians and politicians in the federal as well as provincial capitals to increase their awareness of the issue.
- Hold one-on-one meetings and briefings and provide technical advice to the parliamentary bodies for sustained efforts to move the issue forward.
- Show progressive development towards issue identification and then graduating the debate leading to public action (statement, resolution, public resolution or a successful meeting etc.) through individual and public engagement making sure the whole campaign and engagements are well-knit, coherent and goal-oriented.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in Development Studies/Human Rights /Law/ Political Science or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience in engaging/working with public institutions and senior politicians ideally in a campaign setting. Should bring to the table a vast contact base and engagement history with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of how laws and policy works and what can be the role of various institutions, procedures, mechanisms to advance a policy agenda.
- Excellent understanding of the issues being faced by civil society in the country and the domestic legal framework applicable to registration and regulation of civil society organisations.
- Excellent communication skills
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Pakistan: Parliamentary Engagement Expert” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Women are encouraged to apply! Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 12 July 2021. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
This position is subject to the expected approval of project funding.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
12045 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 (0)30 2787730-0 Fax: +49 (0)30 2787730-10