Position Title: Translator English/Arabic
Form of Employment: Short-term Consultancy
Starting Date: 1st February 2019
Overall Project Background:
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this project, DRI will be publishing a study on the political transition in Libya which will provide a comprehensive and clear picture of the events that took place since 2011, and offering an outlook on how the transition to a democratic Libyan state could be achieved.
The paper is currently being finalized in English and will target both an international and Libyan expert audience. It will be translated into Arabic and published online in early 2019.
Your duties and responsibilities:
The Translator will translate the report from English into Arabic. The Translator is expected to use the correct and context-appropriate Arabic terms corresponding to the English text. S/he must use dialect-neutral and correct Arabic language to translate the text. Official statements, documents, names and titles must be translated as they are used in the Libyan context.
Other documents within the framework of the same project might be assigned to the translator if the need arises (hence the possibility of contract extension). All rights related to the produced translation will lie exclusively with DRI The translator will not be entitled to any compensation apart from the lump sum amount agreed as per the contract.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in translation, languages or other relevant fields;
- 5-7 years of work experience in translation;
- Fluency in both Arabic and English is required;
- Proven record of translation of political documents is essential;
- Knowledge of the Libyan transition process and politics is highly desired;
- Ability to reflect the essence of the translated text from English while maintaining a natural reflection and contextual relevance in Arabic is essential;
- Previous experience in translating online publications will be an asset;
- Ability to meet strict and tight deadlines is required;
- Demonstrated experience in working for an international organization will be an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, rate per word, CV, names and contact details of two references and two samples of previously completed translation work in the political field) to [email protected]. Please include “Translator” in the subject line and refer to the source through which you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 21st January 2019. The position may be filled before the expiry of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10