Form of Employment: Part-time
Starting Date: December 2020
Duration: Up to 20 working days over a period of 3 months
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is currently recruiting a Legal Drafting Expert for its Country Office in Pakistan. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Project Manager/Democratic Governance Expert and in consultation with the relevant department/s of the government of Sindh, the expert will draft Rules to facilitate the implementation of the Sindh COVID-19 Emergency Relief Act 2020 passed by the Provincial Assembly in June 2020.
- Review the Sindh COVID-19 Emergency Relief Act 2020 and draft rules and regulations required for carrying out the purpose of the Act
- Conduct consultations with relevant officials of the Sindh government prior to the drafting of the rules
- Work closely with DRI Provincial Team and officials of the relevant department/s and draft Rules in consultation with them
- If required, conduct briefings and provide technical advice to relevant officials for effective implementation of the Act
- Shall prepare the first draft of the Rules by end of January 2020
- Other relevant duties, as required
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in Law or equivalent; Masters preferred
- In-depth knowledge of the political context of the country, particularly Sindh
- Demonstrated experience in engaging/working with Government department/or other public institutions
- Demonstrated understanding and expertise in drafting laws and rules
- Excellent understanding of the COVID-19 and related issues
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu
- Report writing skills
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Legal Drafting Expert” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 11 December 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after the expiration of the deadline.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Elbestr. 28 / 29
12045 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10