Human Rights Expert – Myanmar
Democracy Reporting International is implementing the EU-funded project STEP to Democracy – Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar leading the programme component on civil society and support to CSO partners to develop their advocacy and monitoring capacities in the democratic reforms process. More specifically, this programme component supports domestic observer CSOs on legal framework analysis and electoral reforms advocacy, while also working with CSOs and other stakeholders on key aspects of broader democratic governance.
Objective of this assignment
DRI is currently recruiting a Human Rights Expert to review the legal framework for Myanmar’s National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) and assess it against the Paris Principles, providing general recommendations for CSO advocacy for an improved legal framework for this institution.
Location and Duration
The Human Rights Expert will work from his/her home base. The assignment will involve a maximum of 5 working days between August and September 2016.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and the Programme Officer in Berlin, the Expert will be tasked with the following deliverables:
- Review the legal framework for the NHRC in Myanmar and provide a written outline and preliminary assessment;
- Use DRI’s Briefing Paper on Pakistan‘s National Commission for Human Rights as a guideline for the content and style of the Briefing Paper on Myanmar’s NHRC;
- Incorporate CSO partner and DRI Myanmar team feedback to adequately reflect the reality on the ground in the assessment and the recommendations;
- Submit a first draft of the paper for feedback and comments from DRI;
- Finalise the Briefing Paper based upon feedback and comments provided.
- University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law or a related discipline;
- At least 3 years relevant experience in democracy support, human rights monitoring and advocacy, and/or civil society strengthening;
- Familiarity with international human rights law, norms and mechanisms;
- Excellent English language and drafting skills;
- Previous experience with advocacy-oriented publications is considered an asset;
- Experience working on human rights advocacy in Myanmar is considered an asset.
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter, CV and references) to [email protected]. Please include “Human Rights Expert – Myanmar” in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 22 August 2016. The role may be filled before the deadline, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.