Role: Active Citizenship Expert
Form of employment: Short-term consultancy
Location: Beirut and Akkar, Lebanon
Reporting lines: Programme Manager
Contract period: June – December 2021
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
Since 2016, DRI has been working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote local governance in line with good governance principles.
The project “Resilience in local governance” (RESLOG), aims at strengthening municipal governance, service provision, and areas-based coordination in the Akkar governorate. DRI is supporting in shortlisting and selecting “active citizens” who will be part of the “Active Citizenship Ambassadors” programme and participate in the service improvement projects implemented in Jurd el Qayteh and Dreib el Awsat union of municipalities (UoMs).
DRI will provide technical expertise and capacity building on topics that are relevant to the service improvement projects and support the implementation of short-term community projects and activities in each of the two UoMs. The project will also promote awareness of these activities using communications, outreach, and digital media tools.
Objectives of the Assignment
DRI is recruiting a short-term expert to provide technical expertise and conduct a training on active citizenship to selected beneficiaries in the Jurd el Qayteh and Dreib el Awsat UoMs. The aim of this activity is to equip the beneficiaries with skills in order to:
- Become more aware of the many problems and concerns of their communities.
- Be motivated and determined to act and mobilise their communities.
- Become agents of change through planning community projects and delivering social actions.
- Be aware of their social responsibility and leadership skills based on democratic values.
The level of effort for this assignment is 2.5 working days in total; half a day for preparation and two full training days, (one per UoM).
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the expert will:
- Develop a participatory training curriculum that meets the results stated above.
- Design SMART results and baseline indicators in line with DRI’s and the project’s objectives.
- Design pre– and post-tests to assess the outcome of the sessions on the trainees.
- Deliver a one– day interactive capacity-building workshop per UoM.
- Ensure the engagement of the beneficiaries in the sessions and the increase in their skills and knowledge.
- Submit, within five working days, a trainer report summarising the methodology used during the training, the trainer’s feedback, recommendations, and pre– and post-test results.
- A degree in social sciences, political science, communication, or any other relevant field.
- At least 5 years of work experience in local governance and community engagement.
- At least 5 years of experience in designing and delivering interactive training workshops.
- Experience in designing and supporting community projects.
- In-depth knowledge of the context in Akkar with its social and economic challenges.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to liaise with a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong command of Arabic and ability to draft reports in English.
- A cover letter
- Your CV
- Your financial offer
- Contact details.
Please include “Active Citizenship Trainer – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Incomplete applications will be disregarded.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Closing date for applications is 9 July 2021 at 14:00 PM local time (Beirut). The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
DRI is committed to diversity and treats everybody equally, independent of gender identity, sex, pregnancy, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, political opinion (as long as respectful of democratic principles), or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Elbestr. 28 / 29
12045 Berlin, Germany