Position Title: External Reviewer
Assignment: Revise and edit a case study report on local governance and solid waste management in Lebanon based on qualitative survey data and secondary information
Form of Employment: Short-term Consultancy
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: 1 month
Location: Beirut, Lebanon / desk-work
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its Lebanon Project “Setting an Agenda for Decentralisation in Lebanon – Phase II”, DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote decentralisation and a public debate on local governance in line with good governance principles.
To do so, DRI is assessing the role of central and local government authorities in public service delivery to understand their needs and challenges and develop concrete policy recommendations. DRI is assessing three public service sectors in particular: solid waste management, security, and political participation.
Between April and July 2017, DRI collected data from 37 Lebanese municipal unions on service delivery aspects in the following three sectors: solid waste management; security (municipal police, public safety); government transparency and citizen participation. Based on the survey findings, a stock-taking report (Public Service Provision in Municipal Unions in Lebanon) and a road map for local governance reform (Local Governance in Lebanon: The Way Forward) were issued in December 2017.
Building on the survey conducted at the municipal union level, two complementary surveys were executed to enable a comprehensive overview of the state of play of local governance and public services: a largely qualitative survey at the level of 11 central government agencies and line ministries (March–June 2018) and a largely quantitative survey in 207 Lebanese municipalities (June–September 2018).
In addition, DRI is publishing a qualitative academic study which focuses on four case studies of local authorities in Lebanon and their respective solid waste management policies, innovations and challenges. The study was conducted by academics at Sciences Po University and the Lebanese University.
DRI will use the findings derived from the research and solicit input from the project partners and stakeholders to raise awareness and advocate for better local governance.
DRI is currently recruiting an External Reviewer who specialises in the governance of the solid waste management sector in Lebanon for its Lebanon Country Office in Beirut. Under the direct supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon, you will revise, edit and finalise a 22,000-word report on four case studies on solid waste management and local authorities in Lebanon. This will include, but is not limited to, revising the executive summary and recommendations to contain concrete proposals for solid waste management at a local and national level.
Objective of this assignment
DRI is looking for an External Reviewer who is specialised in the governance of the solid waste management sector in Lebanon who is familiar with the work of municipalities and municipal unions in Lebanon, preferably with a knowledge of decentralisation and local governance, and a proven track record in quantitative and qualitative data analysis and report writing. The objective of the report is to draw attention to innovative solid waste management initiated by Lebanese local authorities as a result of progressive municipalisation. In addition to demonstrating that the success of good local governance is dependent on complex economic, territorial, technical and political factors.
Your duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon and in close coordination with the Project Manager, the Local Governance Researcher will be tasked with the following deliverables:
- Review, copy-edit and proof-read the final manuscript in the original language (English);
- Review and revise the Executive Summary and Recommendations, to include practical concrete proposals on solid waste management at a local and national level;
- Shorten and tighten up the report where necessary to produce a concise, think-tank style;
- Unify the bibliography, footnotes and formatting of the final manuscript.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in law, public administration, social science, public policy/development studies, urban planning, or other relevant fields;
- Advanced knowledge of the framework governing solid waste management in Lebanon and the work of Lebanese municipalities and municipal unions;
- Preferably with a strong knowledge of local governance and decentralisation in the Lebanon context;
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in social science data analysis and report writing in a concise, think-tank style;
- Writing samples/publications touching on solid waste management and governance;
- IT skills (MS Word and Excel);
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV and relevant work samples) to [email protected]. Please include “External Reviewer (Lebanon)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!