Call for Tender – Financial Software (ERP System) Experts Needed
Contracting Authority: Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Nature of contract: Consulting services / freelancing / project management
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation
registered in Berlin, Germany. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide. Our headquarters are in Berlin and we have offices in seven countries. Each of these country offices works in local languages in addition to English.
1. Description of the services required
Within the scope of digitalisation and automation of processes, DRI will introduce a financial software
(ERP system) to improve financial project management and collaboration worldwide. DRI has its
headquarters in Berlin and operates in seven country offices (Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Lebanon,
Tunisia, Libya and Ukraine). DRI is using Microsoft Office 365 and currently implementing Microsoft
SharePoint as a collaboration platform in HQ and the seven country offices. The bookkeeping as well as
the annual closure and the tax return are currently being done externally by a German tax accountant and the projects (grants and service contracts) are managed with Microsoft Excel. DRI plans to introduce an accounting software in order to bring the bookkeeping function in-house. The software solution should also enable effective project management according to legal requirements in all country offices as well as donor regulations.
DRI is therefore seeking external expertise to support DRI during the software selection process and to
manage the implementation and roll-out of the financial software. This tender announcement is split into two separate calls:
Expert Consultant to support during the preparation phase (software selection and contract negotiations with the software provider) and
Project Manager to independently manage the complete project (18 months, starting immediately). This position will be also separately published for individuals interested in employment.
We encourage companies and individuals/freelancers to apply who can fulfill either or both of the open roles – please clearly indicate the tender(s) applied for in the attached Annex I. To better assess the project nature and the expertise needed, please see the draft project workplan: DRI Workplan – Introduction of a financial software
2. Tender I – Expert Consultant
Your duties and responsibilities:
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance and working alongside a peer panel consisting of seven
experienced employees, the expert consultant will provide guidance and advice to support DRI in achieving key milestones related to the financial software implementation and roll-out. The primary responsibilities include the following:
- Review and assess the current project status and analyse the desired milestones and timelines;
- Identify and define the key financial and operational processes that will be integrated into the
software, and provide actionable suggestions to streamline current processes;
- Create a comprehensive list of required criteria for the selected software taking into consideration
DRI’s current and future processes;
- Support with the preparation of the specification sheet as a tool for identifying the most suitable
software and as preparation for the contractual arrangements;
- Provide feedback on possible alternative solutions to an ERP system, taking into consideration
DRI’s current IT tools and IT strategy;
- Support with the contractual negotiations (review/draft contract, advise on licencing model);
- Review and support with the finalisation of the project implementation plan.
- At least 5 years of experience in implementing financial/accounting software and ERP systems in
German companies is required (similar experience implementing such a tool on a global scale is a
- Demonstrable experience with not-for-profit organisations and companies with international
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 and SharePoint;
- Financial and accounting expertise is a plus;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and German.
- A comprehensive list of the key financial and operational processes that will be enhanced with a
financial software, including a road map for how to amend or adjust current processes;
- A comprehensive selection criteria list and implementation plan, which has been approved by DRI
- Preparation of the software provider specifications sheet;
- Provide support with the tool selection and contractual negotiations until contract execution with a
Place of performance:
- Home-based with frequent video calls and tele-conferencing; occasional visits to DRI’s Berlin
headquarters are anticipated.
- Starting immediately; completion of all deliverables by 30 April 2021.
3. Tender II – Project Manager
Your duties and responsibilities:
In collaboration with, and under the supervision of, DRI’s Director of Finance, you will be responsible for the management of the implementation of a financial and accounting software (ERP system) in all of DRI’s offices (headquarters and country offices). DRI is currently in the process of identifying a suitable software solution. A working group consisting of seven experienced colleagues has been formed in order to support the project manager in decision-making and in support to deliver outputs. The primary responsibilities include the following:
- Manage and drive the preparation, selection, implementation and roll-out of a financial software
and ERP system at DRI, while maintaining a holistic view of DRI’s organisational processes, goals
and IT strategy;
- Adhere to the project workplan to ensure milestones are reached and deadlines are met;
- Identify, define and develop the key financial and operational processes that will be integrated into
– and enhanced by – the selected software;
- Determine the necessary criteria to be met by the software based on company-wide analysis and
- Lead the discussions and negotiations with software providers during the selection phase;
- Ensure a smooth roll-out for all stakeholders (e.g., effectively manage data migration, perform
functional tests of the software with key users, develop and lead training sessions, act as the SPOC
for the service provider);
- Planning and monitoring of the project budget during the implementation and roll-out phases;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
- 5+ years of demonstrable IT project management experience;
- Very good technical knowledge of project management tools and methods;
- Demonstrable experience implementing a financial software / ERP system for a global organisation;
- Strong knowledge of financial accounting and cost accounting, financial closing and reporting;
- Strong knowledge of global operational business processes;
- Experience generating reports and communicating findings to internal and external stakeholders;
- Good communication and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and German;
- Knowledge of French is a plus;
- Experience with the not-for-profit sector and grant management is a plus.
- Ensure DRI has a fully-integrated, operational and trustworthy financial software (ERP System)
being utilised for all of its global accounting, financial and reporting needs;
- Provide trainings and knowledge sharing to permanent DRI employees prior to departure.
Place of performance:
- On-premise at DRI’s Berlin headquarters.
- Starting immediately; contract for 18 months.
4. How to Apply
DRI is committed to diversity and treats everybody equally, independent of gender (including
pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status,
political opinion (except extremism), or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we
Interested applicants should submit their offers including:
1. CV/profile of the expert(s), highlighting relevant experience and qualifications and providing
references of at least 2 previous clients/employers whom the expert supported on similar
2. Short description of the service to be provided according to the above-mentioned
duties/deliverables, including the assessed required expert days;
3. Completed Annex I Financial Proposal Form.
Please send all application documents to the following email address: [email protected]
(subject line: “Financial Software Expert”). Questions can be sent to the same email address before the
Closing date for applications: (23:59 CEST) 22 November 2020.
The submission for this tender document does not entail any commitment on the part of DRI, either financial or otherwise.
Submitting an offer implies acceptance by the tenderer of all terms and conditions of this document and its annex.
Organisation responsible for this call for tender:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
12045 Berlin, Germany
Data processing of personal data in third countries will not take place. We process your data in accordance with the provisions of § 26 German Federal Data Protection Act.