Position Title: Legal Expert (m/f/d)
Form of Employment: Short term assignments
Starting Date: ASAP
Duration: 15 days
Location: Homebased work
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
We are looking for a legal expert to work for approximately 15 days on aspects of the State of Emergency (SoE) in the EU and beyond. The starting date will be as soon as possible.
- Assemble a network of legal experts that can provide DRI with regular, concise updates on SoE legislation and related controversies in EU member states based on a standard questionnaire.
- Provide succinct written analysis on aspects of SoE, rule of law and democracy.
- Prepare questionnaire and analysis guidelines and propose reporting outputs that are attractive for media and the public.
- Edit contributions from legal experts and prepare a publication on that basis.
- Contribute to and draft reports that synthesize SoE issues that emerge in different countries.
- Other related tasks as required.
Qualifications we require:
- A degree in law and at least 5 years of practical international work experience in legal analysis related to public law and issues related to the rule of law and democracy in EU member states (and beyond).
- A record of (co-)writing analytical reports that are not primarily aimed at an academic audience.
- Excellent English writing skills.
We consider an asset if you have:
- Demonstrated journalistic writing skills
- Knowledge of European languages beyond English
- Experience in conceptualising and designing infographics
- A network of journalistic contacts in the EU
- Knowledge of international law that is relevant to the issue of SoE.
How to apply:
If you are interested, please apply by 27 April c.o.b. by email to [email protected] in which you:
- Include a cover email indicating your daily fee, considering that DRI is a non-profit NGO
- Your CV
- A statement of a maximum of one page on what aspects of SoE legislation across the EU are interesting for a broader public and so far not sufficiently covered by media and how these could be presented attractively to a wider public.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel+49 30 27877300
Fax+49 30 27877300-10