Looking for a Pre- & Post-Production Company or Team of Individual Consultants
Assignment Title: Production of an Online Political Talk-Show
Assignment Location: Lebanon
Maximum Budget: Up to EUR 18,000
Contract Period: March – 31 December 2021
Deadline: 25 February 2020; 12:00 PM local time (Beirut, Lebanon)
DRI is looking for an experienced production firm or team of individual consultants to provide technical know-how and guidance for producing an online political talk-show that promotes citizen-centred engagement on democratic discourse and political reform in Lebanon.
- About DRI
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. It has been established in Lebanon since 2016. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide. Democratic discourse is the basis of our mission and vision. In our work, we facilitate discussion and exchange about democratic government and the need for a continuous discourse adhering to democratic rules.
In the framework of a pilot project, DRI is working to expand the democratic space for a civil society-led debate on systemic change in Lebanon. The project is premised on the theory of change that, if citizens and marginalised voices are given a platform to engage in the democratic space, and have increased awareness of the political debate, then the vision of Lebanon’s future political model will be more inclusive, because new thought leaders can engage and discuss new proposals for citizen and people-centred political change. In the long-term, citizens are encouraged actively participate in the governing of their own country in an inclusive and participatory manner.
- Project Overview
Ahead of the 2022 elections, we aim to launch, with the support of 10–12 young media makers (“young media fellows”) based in Lebanon, an online political talk-show that introduces new faces to the media landscape and amplifies civil society voices. The talk-show will discuss political change in Lebanon and the way it can be achieved through the coordinated effort of local stakeholders. In parallel, we aim to empower young media makers by expanding their skills to tackle policy problems and jointly collaborating on the talk-show.
- The Talk-Show
The online political talk-show is structured around thematic queries that cut across the various project outputs and activities. Tentative thematic queries include the following:
- How to re-shape the Lebanese political system based on a new social contract, secular citizenship, and a sound system of checks and balances?
- How can a value-centric political model rebuild Lebanon? The scope may include the identification of values (e.g., meritocracy, inclusion, sustainability, stewardship, accountability, social justice) and the alignment of target audience on rethinking the political culture of Lebanon.
- How to establish the Rule of Law, Accountability, Ethical and Responsible Government?
- How to change the electoral system for a fair representation of Lebanese society?
- How to improve public service provision?
- How to boost the role of civil society, particularly youth and women, in effecting political change?
DRI is interested in receiving applications from production companies and individual consultants.
We have planned for 15 episodes of around 30 minutes each to be produced between March and December 2021. The episodes will be recorded rather than livestreamed. Please note that this is a low-cost talk-show production.
The assignment consists in providing all the necessary technical know-how and guidance to produce all episodes from end to end in close coordination with DRI. The concept design, research, writing, and guest selection will be the prime responsibility of DRI, with the assistance of the young media fellows.
Under the supervision of and in close coordination with DRI, you will
- Advise and assist DRI in setting up a budget and input on the elaboration of Requests for Quotations to rent and/or procure equipment as per DRI’s policies within 1 week into the assignment;
- Advise DRI on the hiring of venue/studio setup and, where needed, talk-show cast, and advise on the recruitment or procurement process as per DRI’s policies within 2 weeks into the assignment;
- Develop a workflow for the production process within 3 weeks into the assignment;
- Where needed, advise on identity creation, concept design (talk-show name, intro etc.), visual identity branding, graphics package within 4 weeks into the assignment.
- First and foremost: Bring the show to life!
- Coordinate with DRI to deliver the production process from end to end on time and on budget for 15 episodes (30 minutes);
- Help coordinate the activities within the production team, e.g., director, camera crew, sound engineer, video editor, and with the DRI team throughout the production process of 15 episodes (30 minutes);
- Manage, supervise, and fine-tune all technical aspects and steps of the pre-, production, and post-production phases of talk-shows (15 episodes);
- Manage the stage during the filming for all 15 episodes;
- Ensure accurate, timely, and high-quality completion of all requested deliverables;
Ongoing technical monitoring and guidance:
- Hold regular check-ins every two weeks with DRI to assess production progress, take stock of lessons learnt, and ensure that production objectives are continuously met to the highest standard;
- Coach and mentor DRI on the choice of technical requirements where necessary.
Your Skills & Experience
Interested applicants (registered companies or team of individual consultants) should demonstrate that they can fulfil all the requested tasks and have the following profile:
- At least 8 years of experience and demonstrable skills in production/team leader, and a minimum of 5 years and demonstrable skills in direction, sound engineering, video editing, and camera filming (experts proposed can fulfil more than one skillset)
- Relevant experience in online/WebTV talk-shows, podcast creation, or similar productions
- Creativity and sense of initiative
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Problem-solving, troubleshooting, and decision-making abilities
- Fluency in English and Arabic
- Track record working on democratisation, human rights, political reform, and civic engagement, political topics
- Familiarity with DRI’s work, approach, and thematic focus areas in Lebanon
Due to possible covid-19 travel restrictions, part of the assignment may be conducted remotely.
Please include “Talk-Show Production – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Incomplete applications will be disregarded.
Submission of Proposal:
Both companies and groups of individuals are invited to apply.
If you are interested in this assignment, please send your application to [email protected], with [email protected] cc’d, consisting of:
- For companies and individual consultants: All documents listed under the Technical Evaluation Part in Annex I – Technical and Financial Evaluation Form.
- For companies only: Annex II and Annex III duly completed, stamped, and signed.
- For companies and individual consultants: Financial offer in Euros, disaggregated by unit type and rate per unit (Annex IV).
Note: The financial offer does not include the use, rental, or procurement of the production equipment or venue.
The applicants will be evaluated 70% on their technical application and 30% on their financial offer (see Annex I – Technical and Financial Evaluation Form).
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Closing date for applications is 25 February 2021, 11:59 PM local time (Beirut). The vacancy may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- You can find here a summary of the Q&A held during the information session on 19 February 2021.
- This Request for Quotations does not entail any commitment on the part of DRI. DRI may cancel the tender at any time without assigning any reason.
Organisation responsible for this CfA:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
12045 Berlin, Germany
Tel. +49 (30) 27 877 300
Fax +49 (30) 27 877 300-10