Position: Head of Finance & Administration Libya
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: October 2019
Duration: 01 October 2019 – 31 March 2022
Position Location: Tunis, Tunisia (with regular travels to Libya if the security situation allows)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under the current programme (comprised of currently two separate projects), DRI is working with its local partners and networks on building the knowledge and capacity of Libyan citizens to engage in the country’s governance processes, with an initial focus on the local level.
DRI is currently looking for a full-time Head of Finance and Administration for its country office in Tunis, where DRI will be implementing a component of the ISAL project (Improved Service delivery and Accountability at Local level). This project is funded by the European Union and implemented by a consortium of VNG International (the consortium lead), CILG, and DRI. The position is also expected to work on future projects within the DRI Libya office.
The Head of Finance and Administration will be leading DRI finance and administration team in the Libya Office in Tunis. The Head of Finance and Administration will work closely with the Project Manager in all aspects of budget and office management and lead financial reporting to the donor under the supervision of the Country Representative, with the technical Guidance of the Director of Finance Unit, Berlin, Germany.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of DRI Libya Country Representative, Head of Finance and Administration Libya will lead on all administrative and financial aspects pertaining to DRI´s programme in Libya, including human resources and office management, financial management and donor communication on project budgets and financial reports.
More specifically, the Head of Finance and Administration Libya will:
1. Financial Management
• Manage the finance and administration team in DRI Libya Office in Tunis, including establishing of efficient division of labour and training of local staff.
• Manage the DRI Libya office, including rentals/landlord relations, fixtures and maintenance, IT issues, utilities/supplies, and maintaining/updating the inventory of assets.
• Oversee all project related payments and coordinate with vendors, experts and DRI HQ for executing payments in a timely manner.
• Ensure that the DRI Libya office meets all donor requirements, Libya and Tunisia legal requirements, German bookkeeping requirements as well as DRI internal regulations;
• Draft and oversee implementation of all administrative policies, procedures and templates, including human resource policy, travel policy, vehicle usage policy, leave tracking templates, subgrant guidelines, etc.
3. Donor reporting
• Ensure the accurate and timely submission of donor financial reports and lead on donor communication on budgets and budget amendments
• Be responsible for the monthly budget forecast and budget monitoring and assist the Project Manager and Programme Officers to create activity budgets.
• Oversee procurement processes and ensure accurate procurement documentation.
• Provide training and financial guidance to subgrantees and project partners and oversee controlling of partner financial reports and payment requests.
5. Human Resources
• Lead local staff recruitment processes and documentation, maintain a human resources and payroll system, including staff contracts and timesheets, performance evaluation.
• Ensure compliance with relevant local government tax laws and tax reporting.
• Manage the contracting and deployment of expat staff, international experts and visitors, including visa and travel arrangements.
6. Audit and Archiving
• Maintain an electronic and physical filing system for administrative and financial records, including activity reports, participant lists, subgrant contracts, procurements and tenders.
• Lead on donor and external audit mission and ensure preparation thereof: preparing documentation for external audits and expenditure verification, including evidence of payments, procurement and activities as well as compiling the audit samples as required.
• Plans and coordinates project closure, including asset management/ asset donation and archive transfer to HQ, if applicable.
• Perform any other related duties, as assigned.
• At least a Bachelor´s degree in accounting, business management, development economics or relevant fields;
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience as manager and/or finance manager with international non–profit organisations.
• Proven experience in financial management of donor funded projects. More specific, projects funded by the European Commission. Experiences working with management of subgrants and/or working within a consortium is an asset
• Fluency in English required – ability to communicate in Arabic or French is an asset.
• Excellent financial and analytical skills; detail-orientation, ability to work independent and a pro-active and problem-solving attitude;
• Excellent IT-skills, including excellent knowledge of Excel and familiarity with accounting systems;
• Ability to manage a finance and administration team and demonstrate leadership, ability to understand the needs of programme unit and propose solutions to daily challenges;
• Experience in human resource management, including review of local labour laws and contracting templates;
• Ability to operate in a cross-cultural team and in a challenging environment requiring flexibility, patience and creativity;
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter, CV and three references) to [email protected] Please include “Head of Finance and Administration – DRI Libya” in the subject line and also inform us about your earliest possible starting date.
Closing date for applications: 4 August 2019.
The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10