Form of Employment: Long-term Consultancy
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Overall Project Background:
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In Libya, Democracy Reporting International (DRI) has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under the ISAL project (Improved Service Delivery and Accountability at Local Level) which is implemented by a consortium of CILG, VNG International and DRI and funded by the European Union, DRI aims to contribute to the consolidation of the democratic transition and stabilization process in Libya by enhancing capacities of Libyan public institutions, empowering Libyan municipalities and strengthening local capacities to promote collaborative governance. As part of the project, a Group of Thinkers has been convened to produce 4 research papers on local governance.
The research papers are written in Arabic and will be translated to English after being copyedited. Other publications, communication outputs or texts might require the services of an Arabic Editor/Copywriter later on during the project.
Your duties and responsibilities:
The Arabic Editor and Copywriter will have the following tasks to perform.
The Arabic Editor and Copywriter shall review the Arabic text and ensures that it complies with the following essential requirements:
- Linguistic correctness and proper syntax;
- Consistency in the use of terms and names of official documents and bodies;
- Correct terminology, grammar, punctuation and referencing;
- The use of Arabic terms as they are used in the Libyan context (and the right Libyan administrative terms);
- Correct spelling;
- Gender-sensitive language;
- Generally following DRI’s Style Guide.
All rights related to the produced document will become the propriety of DRI and the Arabic Editor/Copywriter will not be entitled to any compensation apart from the lump sum amount agreed as per the contract.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in translation, languages or other relevant fields;
- 5-7 years of work experience in editing and copywriting;
- Fluency in Arabic is required;
- Proven record of editing governance-related documents in Arabic is essential, especially in the context of local governance and municipalities in Libya;
- Knowledge of the Libyan governance structures is highly desired;
- Previous experience in editing/copywriting similar publications will be an asset;
- Ability to meet strict and tight deadlines is required;
- Demonstrated experience in working for an international organization will be an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, rate per word, CV, names and contact details of two references and two samples of previously completed work with political, economic or historic content) to [email protected]. Please include “Arabic Editor/Copywriter—Libya” in the subject line and refer to the source through which you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 15 of December 2020. The position may be filled before the expiry of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
12045 Berlin, GermanyTel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10