Position Title: English Editor / Copywriter (Libya)
Form of Employment: Long-term Consultancy
Starting Date: End of February 2019
Overall Project Background:
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this project, DRI will be publishing a study on the political transition in Libya which will provide a comprehensive and clear picture of the events that took place since 2011 and offer an outlook on how the transition to a democratic Libyan state could be achieved.
The paper is currently being finalized in English and will target both an international and Libyan expert audience. DRI would like to copy-edit the document before publishing it online.
The contract may be extended to include other publications, communication outputs or texts.
Your duties and responsibilities:
The English Editor/Copywriter shall review the finalized publication to ensure that the text complies with the following essential requirements:
- Clarity and accessibility;
- Neutrality of tone and style, following DRI’s Style Guide;
- Linguistic correctness and proper syntax (British English);
- Consistency in the use of terms and names/spelling of official documents and bodies;
- Correct terminology, grammar, punctuation and referencing;
- Correct spelling, and
- Gender-sensitive language.
The English Editor/Copywriter is required to copywrite the text so that the final product sounds as if it were written by an English native author and that the language is consistent throughout all sections of the publication.
All rights related to the produced documents will become the propriety of DRI and the English Editor/Copywriter will not be entitled to any compensation apart from the lump sum amount agreed as per the contract.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in journalism, English literature, law, political science or other relevant fields;
- 5-7 years of work experience in copywriting;
- Excellent command of English is required;
- Proven record of editing and copywriting political, economic and/or historic content in English is required;
- Knowledge of the Libyan political transition and politics is desired;
- Previous experience in copywriting similar publications will be an asset;
- Ability to meet strict and tight deadlines is required;
- Demonstrated experience in working for an international organization will be an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, rate per word, CV, names and contact details of two references and two samples of previously completed work with political, economic or historic content) to [email protected]. Please include “English Editor/Copywriter (Libya)” in the subject line and refer to the source through which you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 17th of February 2019. The position may be filled before the expiry of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10