Form of Employment: Short-term Consultancy, desk work
Starting Date: 1 June – 30 September 2017
Duration: A maximum of seven expert days over a period of three months
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its Lebanon Project “An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon”, DRI is recruiting an Advocacy Consultant (f/m) for a short-term assignment. DRI Lebanon is currently surveying municipal federations across Lebanon to better understand their role in service provision vis-à-vis the central government. Together with a consortium of Lebanese civil society organisations, DRI seeks to build an advocacy strategy based on the results of this assessment to raise public awareness around the topic of decentralisation. The advocacy strategy should build on DRI’s Communication Strategy and include elements such as information sessions for MPs, journalists, academics and civil society, press releases, a TV add or informational video and social media messaging. The consultant will meet with DRI and the consortium to develop the strategy, design a comprehensive advocacy strategy paper and coordinate advocacy efforts of the consortium on a monthly basis. The consultant will be working under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and in close cooperation with DRI team and the consortium members on the below tasks.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Hold a one-day brainstorming session, followed by three, monthly half-day trainings with the consortium members in which you
- Develop an advocacy strategy based on the assessment results of municipal federations in consultation with DRI and the consortium members and provide a written strategy to DRI;
- Provide advice on suitable advocacy tools and methods for the consortium to advocate for sound and accountable local governance in Lebanon;
- Provide DRI with a report about your training and their outcomes within a week after the last training session;
- Other relevant duties, as agreed upon with DRI.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in media, communication or other relevant fields;
- At least eight years of work experience in the field of advocacy, media and/or communications;
- Experience in the work with civil society organisations is a requirement;
- Understanding of local governance and decentralisation in Lebanon is a requirement;
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Arabic.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
Interested candidates must send their application (cover letter and CV) in one pdf file to [email protected] and include “Advocacy Consultant – Lebanon” in the subject line. Candidates must mention the source in which they found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 28 May 2017. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The position may be filled before the end of the deadline. Early applications are encouraged.